Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dos.

"He (the artist) moves through life as he finds it, not passing negligently the things he loves, but stopping to know them, and to note them down in the shorthand of his sketch book... He is looking for what he loves, he tries to capture it. It's found anywhere, everywhere. Those who are not hunters do not see these things. The hunter is learning to see and to understand-- to enjoy."
--Robert Henri

That quote makes me feel extremely negligent as I rarely will carry a sketchbook around. Perhaps it is because I am not a he! Jokes... But, although I don't carry a sketchbook most times, I have been known to draw on napkins or scraps of scratch paper. I've never really been looking for anything either. I kind of just wait for it to find me. That, however, does not work very well. So I guess I should start carrying a sketchbook and become a hunter so I can learn to see, understand and enjoy.

Also, in the reading I like when the writer says to use a pen because they are "more direct." I feel like when sketching in pen, I like it more better. I like the permanency of the line. Messing up in pen kind of sucks but it just adds character to the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment